Nuclear Sector Chiefs:
Nuclear power accounts for approximately 20 percent of our nation’s electrical generation, provided by 100 commercial nuclear reactors licensed to operate at 62 nuclear power plants.
The sector includes:
- Nuclear power plants
- Non-power nuclear reactors used for research, testing, and training
- Manufacturers of nuclear reactors or components
- Radioactive materials used primarily in medical, industrial, and academic settings
- Nuclear fuel cycle facilities
- Decommissioned nuclear power reactors
- Transportation, storage, and disposal of nuclear and radioactive waste
The sector is interdependent with other critical infrastructure sectors:
- Chemical Sector, as a consumer of chemicals through the nuclear fuel cycle and at reactor sites
- Energy Sector, as a supplier of electricity to our nation’s electrical grid
- Healthcare and Public Health Sector, as a supplier of nuclear medicine, radiopharmaceuticals, and in the sterilization of blood and surgical supplies
- Transportation Systems Sector, through the movement of radioactive materials.